Home
Recipe Index
Contents

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Apple Pie with Oats Crust



Pie Crust Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup oats flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
4 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 cup + 3 tablespoon of cold water 

Pie Crust Preparation: Oats flour is available in stores, I made the flour at home in a food processor by pulsing it a few times until it was fine in texture.  To the flour I added salt, sugar and coconut oil, I mixed the ingredients with a fork until it was crumbly.  Next, I slowly added cold water until the flour came to together to form a dough.  I let the dough rest for 10 minutes.  Unlike all purpose flour oats lacks gluten and it is not pliable and easy to roll.  The dough tend to break.  I will fix the broken ends as I work with the dough.  I lined my work surface with baking paper and applied some oil over it place the dough on it and covered it with another sheet of baking paper and rolled over it with a rolling pin rotating the sheets of baking paper now and then until I had a 12 inch pie crust.  I transferred the crust to the pie dish.  Again, the crust will tend to break, I will use the broken pieces to cover the pie dish until it looks presentable.

Apple Pie Filling:

5 apples or 6 cups peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cinnamon powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 tablespoon corn starch
1/4 cup walnut pieces
3 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 cup regular oats

To a large bowl with the sliced apples add sugar, lemon juice mix and keep aside for 10 minutes until the juice comes out.  After some of the juice is out add nutmeg powder, cinnamon powder and corn starch and mix.  Next add some walnuts mix and pour it into the prepared shell.  Spread the apples evenly.  Apply some dab of coconut oil on top of the crust.  Sprinkle with some regular oats and the pie is ready for baking.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes